New over Europe star system Hotelstars Union came to force in Estonia on 2th of May 2011. Hotelstars Union, whose goal is to create a common European star system to make it easier for clients to understand and find expected quality in hotels, was launched in Europe at the start of 2010. Hotelstars Union was launched by 7 European countries – Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Holland and Sweden. In addition to Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have also announced their plans to transfer to the new system. More than 22,000 hotels in 13 countries have already been classified according to the common European star system.
In Estonia, the hotel and motel star system is administered by the Estonian Hotels and Restaurants Association pursuant to the directive of the Minister of Economic Affairs and Communications.
- The new star system is built on a combination of both the minimum requirements as well as optional requirements.
- Under the new Hotelstars Union system hotels are categorized from 1-5 stars and motels from 1-3 stars.
- A rating is granted for five years. The follow-up inspection will carried out once in very other year in the hotel or motel that received the rating. The Classification committee will still have right to visit hotel or motel once an every year when it´s necessary.
- Applying for stars is voluntary.
- The prerequisite for the review of a rating application and for granting and holding a rating, the registration of the hotel or motel in the register of economic activities and the compliance of the accommodation enterprise with the requirements established for the accommodation enterprise and with the requirements established in the classification requirements regarding the rating.
Legislation on Regulation of Categories (Stars) of Hotels and Motels (in Estonian):
- Procedure for and terms and conditions of granting the right to operate as the assignor of category and requirements for operating as an assignor of category (in Estonian);
- Tourism Act;
- Requirements for Accommodation Establishments (in Estonian);
- Directive of the Minister Granting the EHRA the Right to Operate as Assignor of Category (in Estonian).